You have a powerful idea and ambitious vision. We have a team of highly experienced investment professionals ready to help you realize your goals. Your relationship with Pappas Ventures is a partnership – an ongoing collaboration between our entire team, your team, and the many other constituents that shape the evolution of a successful company.
When you enter into a partnership with Pappas Ventures, you’re doing more than securing capital. You’re putting our years of experience, life science expertise, vast professional network, and strategic relationships to work building value. We’re committed for the long-term, devoted to helping bring your idea to market.
leveraging unique relationships and driving success. we do.
Our selection process is designed to give us a detailed understanding of the company’s intellectual property, clinical programs, competitive landscape, capital structure, and management team. Once we go through this rigorous process together, we know you’ll find Pappas Ventures to be among the most knowledgeable life science venture investors in the industry.
Entrepreneurs and companies seeking capital should provide a detailed business plan, executive summary, or PowerPoint presentation.
Initial evaluation process:
- We review the submitted materials to determine the appropriate team member to evaluate the opportunity.
- This initial review group goes through the materials with an eye towards understanding what makes the opportunity compelling.
- If the review group gives a thumbs up, the investment opportunity is summarized for our overall team, and a decision is made either to learn more about it, or to do no further work.
- If we elect not to further pursue an opportunity, we encourage entrepreneurs and management teams to keep us posted as the company achieves important milestones in the future.
Further Due Diligence:
- We assign a small team to thoroughly assess the company/technology based on our investment criteria.
- Based on our continuing interest, the company’s management (or the founding entrepreneur) is asked to present to the Pappas Ventures team.
- Our evaluation continues, with input from our Scientific Advisory Board, other outside experts, and an ongoing dialogue with the company’s management team, board, and current investors.
- Our objective is to determine whether, and on what terms, an investment in the company is right for us – taking into account not only the merits and potential of the company itself, but also internal considerations such as fit with the rest of our portfolio. The process – from introduction to investment – can take as little as a few weeks or as many as several months.
Invest exclusively in the life science sector
- Specialty pharmaceuticals
- Medical devices
- Drug delivery
- Other related ventures
Size of investment
We invest anywhere from a seed deal to a later-stage mezzanine transaction
Strong proprietary position
We are looking for:
- A large, clearly defined market
- A well-conceived intellectual property strategy that can provide a sustainable competitive advantage
- A technology or product that will provide for better, faster and/or less expensive healthcare outcomes
- A well though-out exit strategy
We invest across the spectrum from bare-bones start-ups to well-established companies, but our sweet spot remains companies with products or technologies at Phase 1 or Phase 2 stage of development
Focus on management team
We carefully consider the experience and expertise of key managers, looking for:
- Proven track record
- Exceptional ability to communicate the company’s story to various audiences
- Deep commitment to creating value for shareholders